Chelsea and I planned to cook after going to the gym the other day, so I looked for a fairly quick and easy dinner idea that wouldn’t be too tiring or make us wait too long to eat. The longest part of these recipes was waiting for the pasta to cook. However, between our getting out of the gym late and having to pick up several ingredients on the way home, we still ended up eating close to midnight! So much for planning.
On the up side, it was a delicious and easy dinner! The main dish was a slightly modified version of a Cooking Light recipe (they have a LOT of great recipes!), and the side was a dish that Chelsea gets recipe requests for every time she makes it.
Bow Ties with Tomatoes, Feta, Chicken, and Balsamic Dressing
- If your grocery store is anything like mine, there’s probably only one white balsamic vinegar to choose from, and it’s expensive. I used regular balsamic vinegar, and the recipe still looked and tasted great.
- To add meat to this recipe without adding significant preparation time, I heated half a bag of cubed Tyson Fully Cooked Chicken Breasts in a pan with some olive oil, dried basil, and about a teaspoon of minced garlic. It came out so well it tasted like I had cooked it! Props to Chelsea for thinking of adding the garlic and basil!
- I tried out champagne sweet tomatoes instead of grape tomatoes. I’ll admit I can’t tell much difference between all the varieties of mini tomatoes, but I really liked these because they had a more subtle flavor than most mini tomatoes, tasting more like larger tomatoes, which I prefer.
- I don’t have a pepper grinder, so I used normal black pepper.
Zucchini, Mushrooms, and Squash
Ingredients (2-3 servings): 1 zucchini, 1 yellow squash, small can mushrooms (or large, if you like mushrooms), Cavender’s Greek Seasoning, olive oil
- Slice the zucchini and squash.
- Saute zucchini, squash, and mushrooms in olive oil and greek seasoning (sprinkled lightly over entire pan and mixed in) over medium heat. Cook until zucchini and squash are soft, but not to the point of falling apart.