I had never heard of stuffed meatballs before running across a delicious-looking cheesy stuffed meatballs recipe online last month. I decided to try it out, but I had to modify it a little to fit what I had on hand. And I added mushrooms, because mushrooms are wonderful.
Ingredients: 1/2 C dried bread crumbs, 1.3 C whole milk, 1 lb ground sirloin, 1 1/2 t kosher salt (decrease to 1 t if using regular salt), black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, 1/6 lb colby jack cheese (about 1/3 of an 8 oz package) cut into 8 cubes
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Add the milk to the bread crumbs and stir with a fork–mixture will be crumbly, but keep the chunks small.
- Add the ground sirloin, salt, and pepper, and mix until just combined.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal-sized pieces and roll into balls.
- Indent each meatball with your thumb, insert a cube of cheese, and spread the meat around it until no cheese shows and you have a round meatball again.
- Place the meatballs on a baking sheet lined with non-stick foil or with a non-stick surface.
- Bake the meatballs for 20-25 min or until the meatballs are browned. Serve hot while the cheese is still gooey.