I made sweet potato casserole for our Thanksgiving potluck at work last year. There were no leftovers, and I even got a few requests for the recipe. So I decided to make it again this year (make a double batch, in fact, so I could have it with chicken for dinner), with the same results. I love this recipe because it’s easy to make ahead of time, especially if you use canned sweet potatoes. And if you eat the leftovers cold, it’s kind of like eating pumpkin pie.
Sweet Potato Casserole
from a coworker of my mom
Filling Ingredients: 3 C Mashed sweet potatoes (4-5 medium potatoes or a 40 oz can), 3/4 C Brown sugar, 2 Eggs, 1 t Vanilla, 1 t Cinnamon, 1 large can Evaporated milk (you’ll probably only use about 1/2 to 3/4 of this), 1/2 stick Margarine
Topping Ingredients: 1 C Brown sugar, 1/2 C Flour, 1 stick Butter–COLD, 1 C Chopped walnuts (can also use pecans or another type of nut)
- Mix all filling ingredients together with mixer (or whisk, if you don’t have a mixer) and pour into a square baking dish (or leave in oven-safe pot that you mashed the potatoes in, if using fresh potatoes).
- Mix all topping ingredients together, using a fork or a pastry blender to cut butter into dry ingredients. You can cut the nuts in after the butter if it makes it easier, but don’t mix too much, because you want it to be chunky.
- Top with topping mixture and bake at 350°F for 45-60 min.
- Don’t overbake, or else the topping will get too sticky and chewy.
- Lay a piece of aluminum foil over the top of the baking dish once the topping looks as cooked (melted and a little browned) as you’d like, to keep it from getting hard while the rest of the casserole cooks.
- If you need to make this recipe low-sodium, you could probably use unsalted butter for all or part of the recipe. About half of the butter in the topping today was unsalted because I ran out of regular butter, and it tasted just as good to me.
Herbs de Provence Chicken
Ingredients: chicken tenders, dried herbs de provence, olive oil, onion powder, salt, pepper
- Add a little olive oil to a saucepan and warm at medium heat.
- Sprinkle some herbs de provence, salt, pepper, and onion powder and let simmer in the oil a little.
- Add chicken and season top of chicken in pan with same spices.
- When lightly browned, turn chicken to cook the other side until lightly browned.