Having failed miserably with the “healthy” muffins, I decided to make an unhealthy alternative muffin to redeem myself and make me feel less embarrassed to be bringing the fig bran muffins to the potluck. My inspiration was a cup of peppermint hot chocolate, after which I wondered if you could make peppermint chocolate muffins, too. I couldn’t find many recipes, so I decided to just add candy to a chocolate muffin mix. It worked well. They were so easy to make, and SO good!
Peppermint Chocolate Muffins
Ingredients: chocolate muffin mix (something like Duncan Hines Triple Chocolate Chunk works well), ingredients needed by the muffin mix (mine required 2 large eggs, 3/4 C water, and 3 T oil), 1 C soft creamy peppermint candy (about 15 pieces of Andes Peppermint Crunch, chopped)
- Preheat the oven to the temperature given in the muffin mix instructions.
- Chop or break the peppermint candy into small chunks. A food processor works well for this.
- Prepare the muffin batter as directed on the muffin mix box.
- Add the chopped peppermint candy to the batter and mix well.
- Bake as directed on the muffin mix box (i.e. for 12 medium muffins, bake 16-18 min at 400ºF)