I love Gouda cheese, and I love sweet and salty combos. So when I noticed some Gouda while waiting in line at the deli counter, I felt compelled to make dinner with it. Improv cooking can be hit or miss, but this meal was awesome!
Chipotle Pork Chops with Gouda, Pears, and Cranberries
4 boneless pork chops
Ground chipotle pepper
Coarsely ground black pepper
Coarsely ground salt
8 thin slices of Gouda cheese
4 Bosc pears
3-4 T Brown sugar
- Thinly slice the pears (no need to skin them) and sauté on medium-low in a pan with olive oil, brown sugar, and a generous sprinkling of cinnamon and dried cranberries.
- When the pears begin to soften, change heat to low to keep warm until the pork is ready.
- Meanwhile in a separate pan, season pork chops to your liking with salt, pepper, and chipotle pepper and sauté in olive oil.
- Immediately after the pork chops are cooked, turn off the heat, top each pork chop with two slices of Gouda cheese, tearing the cheese as needed to fit, and place a lid on the pan to trap the heat in.
- When the Gouda has melted on top of the pork chops, serve the pork chops with a generous spoonful of the pear mixture on top.