This morning while starting to cut an avocado open, my knife slipped and cut my finger (and yes, I do know the first rule of using sharp knives). It wasn’t a let’s-go-to-the-hospital cut, but it was deep enough that I was out of action for the rest of cooking breakfast.
Being down to one cook, Corwin changed plans from our usual pancakes-and-eggs routine and tried something new that would also be more manageable for one person. And it turned out awesome. He successfully used my new-food curiosity to get my mind off of my squeamishness and turn what was becoming a bad morning back into a good one. What an awesome husband!
Alright, so I’m using this phrase loosely, but when life gives you avocados, make…
Open-Faced Avocado Scrambled Egg Sandwiches
- 6 eggs
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 small avocado (plus extra if you want some uncooked avocado as a topping)
- 4 slices of bread, toasted
- Pour a little bit of oil in a skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Mix eggs, a little bit of milk (the amount you’d usually use to make them fluffy to your liking), and just a little more salt than you’d usually use in scrambled eggs.
- Pour egg mixture in heated skillet.
- Sprinkle in cheddar cheese to your liking before the eggs start to cook.
- Scramble eggs until they’re mostly cooked, then mix in the chopped avocado.
- Reduce to medium-low heat and finish cooking the eggs.
- Top toast slices with scrambled egg mixture to make open faced sandwiches.
Makes 4 open-faced sandwiches