I ran across some nice-looking eggplant at the grocery store the other day and realized it’s been a while since we’ve had eggplant. So I picked one up and, being on an open-faced sandwich kick recently, thought I’d make an eggplant-parmesan-like sandwich with it.
My plan changed when I got to the bakery section and realized the bread I most wanted to use was a jalapeno cheese bread. Not exactly in the Italian food theme. So I decided to make southwestern eggplant sandwiches instead, wondering how well eggplant would go with these flavors. As it turned out, it goes very well! We loved these sandwiches.
Open-Faced Southwestern Chipotle Grilled Eggplant Sandwiches
- 1 can refried black beans
- 1 medium-sized eggplant
- Juice from 1 lime
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse ground salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- Chipotle chili powder
- Sliced loaf of jalapeno cheese bread (found in the HEB bakery)
- Tomato, sliced
- Avocado, sliced
- Steamed sweet corn
- Warm refried black beans in a saucepan on low heat with a little milk to make them creamy.
- Peel and slice eggplant into 1/2″ slices. I recommend cutting the eggplant in half, then cutting each half into slices lengthwise to keep the slices roughly sandwich-sized and big enough to not fall through the grates in the grill.
- Lightly coat eggplant slices with extra virgin olive oil and lime juice.
- Place eggplant slices on grill and lightly sprinkle with salt, coarse ground pepper, and chipotle pepper.
- Grill for about 4 minutes on each side or until eggplant no longer looks a raw pale white throughout.
- Meanwhile, toast bread slices.
- Spread a layer of refried black beans on each toasted bread slice.
- Layer a slice of tomato.
- Layer a slice of grilled eggplant.
- Top with avocado slices.
- Lightly sprinkle with salt before serving.
Makes 6 to 8 sandwiches depending on the size of your eggplant. Serve with steamed sweet corn.
- Not crazy about beans? Try melting a slice of pepper jack cheese on the bread instead.
- Don’t like eggplant? Use grilled chicken instead.
- Like eggplant but still want the chicken? Try replacing the tomato slice with a slice of chicken.
- You can also top the sandwiches with corn, although it doesn’t tend to stay, which is why we ended up making it a side.