If you driven between Austin and Dallas, you might be familiar with the Czech bakeries in West, Texas, the most well-known of which is probably Czech Stop. I love Czech Stop, but the last thing I want to do when I still have hours of driving ahead of me is to wait in a line that coils around half of the store to check out, so we’ve been trying out other bakeries in West on our drives to avoid standing in line. On our last trip, we got an early enough start heading home that we thought the line might not be too bad. Still long, but better. And worth it in the end.
And what did we get? Among other things, we got one of my favorite Czech Stop foods: cheese garlic biscuits. Unfortunately, these come in a pack of ten, so if you don’t want to burn out on biscuits you have to vary up how to eat them over the next week. Here are a couple of the ways we’ve eaten them.
Pair them with breakfast.
Breakfast for dinner, that is. We made a delicious scramble of eggs and veggies and paired it with a biscuit, a little bit of leftover caprese salad from a previous meal, and a delicious salad with fruit and more avocado.
Veggie and Egg Scramble
- Olive oil
- Fresh mushrooms, sliced
- Tomato, diced
- Bell pepper, diced
- Onion, diced
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Avocado, diced
- Mix eggs with a little bit of milk and set aside.
- Sauté onions, mushrooms, and peppers in olive oil.
- When veggies are nearly cooked, add tomatoes and cook for another minute or two.
- Add eggs and cheese and scramble together.
- Top with diced avocado.
Fruit and Avocado Salad
- Romaine hearts
- Mango, diced
- Strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Avocado, diced
- (Optional) Brianna’s poppyseed dressing
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Top with dressing, if desired.
Make an open faced sandwich with the last biscuits once they’re less fresh.
As the week progresses, it’s inevitable that the biscuits will dry out a little. Combat this by using them to make a toasted open faced sandwich.
We paired ours with some Rosemary roasted butternut squash.
Open Face Mango Mozzarella Sandwiches
- Biscuit, sliced sandwich-style
- Fresh mozzarella pearls
- HEB pico de gallo with mango
- (Optional) Avocado, sliced
- (Optional) Coarsely ground sea salt
- Toast the biscuits in the toaster oven or on a cookie sheet in the oven.
- Layer a thin slice of prosciutto on each side of the biscuit.
- Top the prosciutto with 5 or 6 mozzarella pearls.
- Top the mozzarella with mango pico.
- (Optional) Garnish with slices of fresh avocado and a sprinkle of sea salt.
Rosemary Roasted Butternut Squash
We followed this recipe as directed and it came out fantastic.