We’ve made southwestern-inspired salads several times over the last year or two, but I’m only just now posting the recipe for one (probably because my salad recipes tend to just be an ingredient list). In any case, I thought I’d capture this ingredient combination since I particularly loved how this salad came out. You could say it has a little bit of a Carribbean flair with the mango pico, so if you prefer straight Southwestern, you can replace the mango pico with a traditional pico.
Makes 4 large dinner salads
- 1 lb thinly sliced chicken breasts
- Coarsely ground salt and pepper
- Lemon-infused olive oil
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 container fresh mozzarella pearls in water
- 1 pint plum tomatoes, halved
- 4 avocados, diced
- 12 oz container HEB mango pico de gallo
- (Optional) 1 bag frozen steam-in-bag sweet corn
- Grill the chicken with the lemon-infused olive oil, salt, and pepper, then slice it into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine all ingredients to assemble the salad. You can top it with a chipotle ranch dressing if you want, but this salad has plenty of flavor without a dressing for me.