I’m a huge fan of Kerbey Queso (if you don’t know what that is, you need to visit Kerbey Lane Cafe in Austin). I still have not had another restaurant’s queso that compares with it. This queso is one of my strongest food memories from college and continues to be one of my favorite foods on the menu at Kerbey Lane (that and the Eggs Francisco, which not-so-coincidentally are topped with Kerbey Queso).
That said, there are times when I’d really like some good queso at home. From-scratch queso generally requires more effort than I have time for, and storebought queso just isn’t the same. Usually. Last year my sister and brother-in-law introduced me to an at-home easy queso option that’s pretty awesome, and I realized last month that now that we have a Costco membership we can make it, too! Yay!
The Next Best Thing to Kerbey Queso
- 1 32 oz container of Leigh Oliver’s Natural White Queso (Costco sells it)
- 2 Serrano peppers, seeded and finely minced
- 4 small vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 2 large avocados, diced
- Heat the Queso as directed.
- Stir in peppers.
- Top with tomatoes and avocado (and stir in, if desired).