This dish was originally a meal from a work friend to help out in those first few weeks after our Food Goob Mini was born. We loved it so much that we wanted to be able to make it again when we began to cook. She’d adapted it from a recipe on diethood.com, so when Corwin’s mom offered to cook during a visit we decided to try our own adaptation.
Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I’d never cooked quinoa before so I drastically underestimated how much food we were making when I quadrupled the recipe because we wanted lots of leftovers to freeze. It took months to finish those leftovers in the freezer!
Now we make a double recipe (the quantities in this recipe are for that volume). I love this recipe. I think we’ve made it four or five times since our Food Goob Mini was born (even with the months of leftovers). :)
Salsa Quinoa Casserole
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 bag frozen chopped onions
- 2 8.8 oz bags quinoa (I used Central Market quick cook quinoa)
- Low sodium chicken broth
- 2 15 oz cans black beans
- 1 16 oz jar Arriba fire roasted Mexican salsa, medium
- 1 15-oz can stewed tomatoes
- 2 t ground cumin
- Coarsely ground salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 bags frozen steam-in-bag corn, steamed
- 1 4-oz can diced green chiles, not drained
- Yellow corn tortilla chips
- 16 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Cherry tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sauté the ground turkey in a pan with onions.
- Add the black beans, salsa, stewed tomatoes, cumin, salt, and pepper, then simmer.
- Cook the quinoa with chicken stock according to package instructions.
- Mix the quinoa, ground turkey mixture, corn, and green chiles.
- Spread the mixture evenly in a couple of baking dishes, leaving about 1/2″-1″ space for toppings. If you plan to freeze or refrigerate leftovers, set those aside in individually-portioned containers and do the remaining steps when you reheat the leftovers (we defrost and reheat the leftovers in the microwave and add the chips and cheese when there’s about a minute or two of microwave time left).
- Top with tortilla chips, then cheddar cheese, then a little bit of Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake until the cheese melts (about 10 minutes).
- Serve with sour cream, cherry tomatoes, chives, and avocado.